Here are some great tips on how to get better sleep right away:
1. Follow a routine schedule. Try to go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time. This helps to keep your internal clock steady and provides better rest.
2. Having some difficulty? Try keeping a sleep diary to better understand your habits and challenges. Include notes about what time you went to bed, if you woke up during the night, and how you feel in the morning – among other factors like exercise, foods eaten, etc.
3. Cut off caffeine from 2 PM on. Did you know that the stimulant caffeine stays in your system for nearly 8 hours? You may still technically fall asleep after an evening latte, however it’s been proven to prevent your brain from entering the restorative and necessary REM phase of sleep.
4. Struggling with an active mind? Consider jotting down your thoughts in a journal before bed. This helps you to put pesky thoughts to rest while knowing they are safely accounted for.
5. If you do wake up, stay put. Don’t jump out of bed too fast. If you’re comfortable, try to stay there and consider deep breathing or visualization to help facilitate getting back to sleep. You might be surprised at how much this may help.
Ultimately, I would like to urge you to get between 8 and 9 hours of sleep per night, or more. Yes, you read that correctly. Do what it takes to get that amount of sleep without getting fired, divorced, or disowned by your friends, significant others, and children. Stop watching television late at night before bed. It makes it harder to fall asleep.
Please accept my best wishes for all of your resolutions in the New Year!