1. Warm up with cardio. You want to get your heart pumping before you start strength training. Start with walking, jogging, or even lunges to get your heart rate up.
2. Spend time mastering proper technique. Knowing the right technique is the foundation for good strength training. Consider investing your time in a single training session or even joining a group like our SilverBack Barbell Club, where the goal is improving and learning better technique.
3. Understand all the options. There are so many methods that can be used for strength training – it’s not all about barbells. Remember that the full range of weights, exercise balls, resistance bands, and even your own body weight provide many great alternatives for improving your fitness and strength. Don’t be afraid to change up your routine from time to time to avoid boredom.
4. Work to maintain balance. It’s very common for most people to have one side of their body that’s stronger than the other. For this reason, it’s important to often isolate each side of the body when strength training to ensure muscles are worked equally. Try some isolated moves and develop balanced strength for better overall fitness.
5. Don’t forget to rest. Rest is a very important part of the strength training equation. You’ve got to give your muscles time to recover and repair. Being conscious of active recovery will make a big difference in your performance long-term. Make sure you’re giving yourself the rest you need after every workout.